Rakusu/Kesa Sewing and Calligraphy Session at the Gateway Centre in Ashbourne
This will be a Zen practice session devoted to the sewing and repairing of Kesas and rakusus with parallel workshops on Japanese Calligraphy / Shodo
The session will be led by Maddie E Shin Parisio. Maddie received bodhisattva ordination from Mokudo Shogen Jean Baby in 1998. She live3d as a permanent resident at La Gendronniere Temple for a year in 2006-2007 where she became a disciple of Philippe Rei Ryu Coupey, from whom she received ordination as a Nun in 2007. She is active in both Philippe’s Sangha, Sans Demeure and in the British sangha, IZAUK, as membership secretary. She lives in Norwich.
Calligraphy workshops will be held parallel to sewing and will be led by John Callaghan. John has practised Shodo (the Way of Writing) with his teacher, Keiko Harada, since 1999.
The Calligraphy workshops will be aimed at those with little or no previous experience. All equipment and materials will be provided. Early booking is recommended as space is limited
Please note: Participants must follow only one of these two parallel activities throughout the week – you can’t do a bit of each 🙂
- Members of IZAUK: Recommended – £145, Low-waged – £120, Unwaged – £100
- Non Members: Recommended – £160, Low-waged – £135, Unwaged – £110
Friends of IZAUK members who require financial assistance to attend can apply for help from the IZAUK Bursary Fund – Contact John at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Loose, subdued coloured clothing for zazen
- a zafu if you have one, and a zafuton (a sitting mat for under your zafu) if you have on
- a bowl, with cutlery and a cloth to wrap it in
- a mug
- A SLEEPING BAG OR DUVET (unless one blanket is enough for you)
- A top sheet (only a bottom sheet is provided)
- A towel
- Sewing? If possible please bring your own small scissors and ruler in CMs
Registrations are now closed, but please don’t let that stop you from joining the waiting list, as people do sometimes cancel. Contact Kate on 07486 160 026 to get on that list!